The National Health Funding Body commenced operations in July 2012. The primary function of the NHFB is to assist the Administrator of the National Health Funding Pool in the performance of his functions.
The National Health Funding Body assists the Administrator of the National Health Funding Pool to:
- Administer the National Health Funding Pool, which receives all Commonwealth and activity-based state and territory hospital funding.
- Oversee payments into and out of the state pool account for each state and territory.
- Ensure that state and territory deposits into state pool accounts and payments from the state pool accounts to local hospital networks and other provider organisations are made in accordance with directions from the responsible State or Territory Minister, and are in line with the Agreement.
- Report publicly on National Health Funding Pool activity.
- Reconcile estimated and actual service delivery volumes for Commonwealth payment purposes.
- Determine efficient growth and funding guarantees.